Socks: Gieves and Hawkes

Monday, January 7, 2013
My long-time readers will know that I'm a big proponent of 'fun' socks. Even if bright patterns aren't your thing, I'm firmly of the opinion that the gap between black shoes and (usually) blue or grey trousers is the perfect place where you can get away with almost any colour you fancy.


Nevertheless, there's a time and a place for everything, and any well-dressed man also needs a selection of the sort of sober socks that he can use to fulfil the more conventional rule that socks should match either your shoes or your trousers. Personally, on the rare occasions when I'm not simply ignoring this rule, I prefer socks to match trousers since black socks are a little too schoolboy for my taste. And so it is that a range of blue and grey socks are required. Plain colours are fine, and useful, but something with a subtle pattern is acceptable and possibly preferable, especially with a plain suit. Gieves and Hawkes do a particularly good selection of this sort of thing, and offer them in that majestic above-the-calf length that I particularly like: it's both hugely comfortable, and also gives a chap a sense of security that no matter how he might lounge in his armchair or cross his legs, there's no chance of a flash of bare leg being exposed.