Negroni Shirt..the test garment (muslin)

Saturday, May 26, 2012
This is my (muslin) test garment of the Colette Patterns Negroni Shirt.  I sewed it in about an hour...and the photo does show that it was hastily sewn. But then again it is a muslin, so I did not fell the seams, I used very inexpensive fabric and buttons, and I only gave it a light press.

If you are looking for a slim-cut pattern...this is it. ShirtMakers call this type of draft a "Contour Shirt".
It is a bit big on my Man-a-Kin, but fits Roger well...just enough ease through the upper chest, shoulders, waist, and hip to be comfortable but not sloppy. The sleeves are a nice length..neither too long or short.

Is it worth buying?  Yes!  Will I sew it again?  No. 

While the Negroni pattern is drafted well enough, it does have more cap ease than I prefer, and it has a straight-cut yoke that thankfully is rescued by a nicely curved back. But I already have countless hand-drafted variations of this style silhouette (a convertible collar shirt) both for my husband Roger and my clients. And of course I do not use commercial patterns when I make shirts with my label for clients.

The pattern instructions come in a cute little booklet and are well written and illustrated. Follow them carefully, as different seam allowances are indicated for use on some parts during construction.