Vogue 8800 Mens Pattern...The Finished Shirt

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ladies and gentlemen, Vogue 8800 is a winner! 

This is the pattern--  Vogue 8800.  It is very straightforward...a simple style that is easy to sew.

It is a slightly contoured (fitted) casual shirt, without being too tight. And the only alteration I had to make was to lengthen the sleeves. The short sleeves are quite short, which is a good look on a younger man. However in my opinion, too short for a middle aged man. I made this shirt for Roger in a size 40...he is a trim man in his mid-fifties.      I lengthened the sleeve pattern by a full inch, and he still thinks they are a bit too short. So I advise to check the sleeve length before cutting.

This shirt gets my stamp of approval 
because the important drafting details are WONDERFUL ! 

LOOK...  The collar is curved!  The yoke where it joins the back is curved!   The back where it joins the yoke is curved!  The 3 things I look for in a good shirt draft are all here in Vogue 8800.

OK, so what if the instructions are basic. This is marked as an "easy" pattern, so I didn't expect the construction methods to be sophisticated. If we choose to do so...we can sew the yoke in a way that all the seams are enclosed, add a pocket from another shirt,  and put slits in the side seams ourselves.
  
Vogue has given us the most important thing...a very good draft!


SEWING NOTES--  Pro-Sheer Elegance Fusible Interfacing  and Textured Coconut Shell Buttons from www.FashionSewingSupply.com .  Fabric is lightweight cotton batik.