Sneaky Sewing..shh....

Sunday, May 30, 2010

While others were busy packing 75+ interfacing orders that must be shipped on Tuesday...I sneaked away to save my sanity with a simple, quick little sewing project. This pink batik top was made from the Romeo & Mae "Milla" pattern, made for my sweet little friend, Julianna, age 3.  Yes, it is simple enough that I could have drafted it myself...but..when I see something on Etsy, I don't think it is right to copy another designer's entire concept. So I bought the pattern.

However, this time I think I could have done a  better job of drafting this style.  Well, maybe that is a bit unfair. Let's just say I would have drafted it differently.  Why?  The facings are the same for front and back, and little tucks must be made for the facing to fit the front. In my opinion, this made the front neckline quite bulky.

So, for this design, I made some changes. First I shortened the pattern to make a Top, Then along with lowering the neckline by about 1/2", I made the front inset wider, and drafted separate facings for the back and front. I also added a banded hem and finished off the top by adding a flower with a beaded center. That just about sums up my changes. Basically it is a good pattern, but I think more advanced sewists would also choose to redraft the facings.

Uh-oh...someone noticed I was gone!  I better get back to work..hey wait a minute, I'm the "boss"! LOL!


SEWING NOTES: Cotton Batik fabric from Fabric.com, facings interfaced with PRO-SHEER ELEGANCE Fusible Interfacing from ~Fashion Sewing Supply~