Summer wear: boat shoes

Friday, April 23, 2010
The weather in the South of England just keeps getting better and, ever optimistic, I am looking forward to a beautiful summer. I'm less good at summer clothes, to be honest, I find it harder to wear temperature-sensible clothes and still look smart.

One item of clothing that I think will be a good purchase this summer is a pair of deck shoes. They may be fairly ubiquitous, but they have the advantage of coming in so many colours and styles that it's not too hard to find a pair that match your particular tastes. From fairly smart brown leather deck shoes that could easily be worn with chinos and a blazer, to suede ones in a variety of colours, which will look great with shorts, there's no shortage of options.
As something I'm likely to wear fairly casually, I quite like the idea of something a bit more interesting than plain brown, and I'm quite attracted to a nice looking pair of blue and white ones from Charles Tyrwhitt. They ought to look nice with shorts, and dark blue jeans. They're probably fairly eye-catching, but that's ok, and they also have a nice summery appeal.