Odd waistcoats

Sunday, February 14, 2010
As I might have mentioned, I'm a great fan of waistcoats; I think anything that covers up the great expanse of shirt tends to look neater. One of the particularly fun things about waistcoats, though, is their potential for adding some variation to your outfit. Odd waistcoats with a suit look great, but they work particularly well with tweed, when you can go for colours that you'd never otherwise wear on a suit. Rich, autumnal colours a especially good; for a long time Harvie and Hudson (I think) had a lovely combination of a classic tweed jacket and a bright maroon waistcoat in their window.
Sadly I don't own any maroon waistcoats (yet) but I do have a yellow one that I thought might look nice with a tweed jacket. I've always thought the button stance was a bit high on this waistcoat - I don't like having quite so little tie showing - but it's not a bad look all the same.